A simple and traditional recipe straight out of Kabylie. Today, with modern techniques and ingredients, this comforting and well-rounded dish is easier to prepare than ever.
- 2 cups of durum wheat berries (or cheat and use Ébly!)
- 1 cup of broad beans (frozen or dried)
- 1 cup of chickpeas (tinned or dried)
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- If you’re using regular durum wheat, you’ll need to soak it overnight and boil it for 4 hours until tender. We like to cheat and use Ebly, which is pre-cooked and takes 10 minutes!
- If using dried chickpeas and broad beans, you’ll also need to soak them overnight and boil for a couple of hours. However, if using frozen beans and tinned chickpeas you can throw them straight in with the Ebly and boil them all together for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and cumin to taste.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with crusty bread.
Cooking fresh or frozen beans for just ten minutes keeps them nice and sweet and full of goodness.